Great new workshops for NH writers of all genres
We have four upcoming writers workshop on offer for NHWP members. The first is "Once Upon A Time" with David Elliott (October 3 1-4pm at the SNHU Ford House).
This workshop will work to isolate the tropes of the classical fairy tale, and explore the ways writers as diverse as C.S. Lewis and Anne Sexton have used these tropes to inform their work. Through discussion and writing exercises, participants should leave the workshop with a renewed understanding of these masterpieces and a rejuvenated energy for their own work whether they are picture book writers, adult novelists, or poets. David Elliott is the author of over seventeen picture books and novels for young people, including The New York Times bestselling And Here’s to You!.
Other upcoming workshops include Overcoming Writers Block with Katherine Mayfield (October 10), Writing and Researching Historical Fiction with Gary Devore (October 17), and What’s Smaller Than A Short Lyric But Longer Than A Haiku? A Tanka! with Mimi White (November 7).
New Hampshire Writers' Project members receive discounts on NHWP workshops.
Looking for NHWP members to take a lead role in Writers' Week 2015
NH Writers' Week (November 8-13) is an important time to celebrate the state's literary culture, highlight the work of NH writers, and bring authors and poets together with readers. An important part of the week is the vocational opportunities of NHWP members to share and learn tricks of the trade. We're holding six events around the state and are in search of published writers to host and offer their advice.
- Sunday, November 8th, 3 - 5 p.m. North Conway - White Birch Books. Topic: "The One Thing You Need to Do Before You Start Writing."
- Monday, November 9th, 6 - 8 p.m. Plymouth - Pease Public Library. Topic: "The One Thing You Need to Finish the First Draft of Your Book."
- Tuesday, November 10th, 5:30 - 7 p.m. Concord - Gibson's Bookstore. Topic: "The One Thing You Need to Do for a Kickass Final Draft of Your Book."
- Wednesday, November 11th, 7 - 9 p.m. Keene - Toadstool Bookshop. Topic: "The One Thing You Need to Know to Find the Right Home for Your Book."
- Thursday, November 12th, 7 - 9 p.m. Nashua - Barnes & Noble. Topic: "The One Thing You Need to Do Before Your Book Goes to Press."
- Friday, November 13th, 7 - 9 p.m. Exeter - Water Street Books. Topic: "The One Thing You Need to Know to Market Your Published Book."
If you're interested in headlining, send a ten-minute outline of your talk to email@example.com.
NHWP Critique Partner Match
The autumn/winter round of the NHWP Critique Partner Match is now accepting applications! Find information and an application form here. DEADLINE FRIDAY OCTOBER 9